- 030 - Accounting & Budget
- OH, USA
- Full Time
Comprehensive Health, Vision & Dental Insurance (90 days after employment), Free Transportation Pass & Discounted Dependent Passes and Retirement Benefits
Metro is seeking a Payroll Specialist who will be responsible for preparing and processing the bi-weekly payroll for operators, mechanics, and administrative employees.
Effective January 1, 2016, The Southwest Ohio Regional Transit Authority/Metro will not hire nicotine users. All candidates for hire extended an offer of employment will be required to successfully pass a nicotine screening as a condition of employment.
- Review information from time keeping systems, bringing concerns to manager attention. Research issues in time and attendance, payroll, application, and employee requests.
- Input and update Federal, State, and Local payroll taxes, direct deposit information, garnishments and child support orders.
- Assist hourly employees in understanding pay issues (paycheck details, contractual progression, calculations, etc.),and providing ongoing education.
- Research, prepare, process, and track manual payroll checks. Prepare accountability report of manual checks processed to management...
- Catch up under-withheld employee deductions through arrearage.
- Ensure vacation in-lieu is paid correctly according to labor contract and direct deposit requirements.
- Assist in the ensurance of correct W-2 reporting, including but not limited to HSA, health care, and ACA reporting requirements.
- Provide information for OPERS (Ohio Public Employees Retirement System) reports.
- Maintain time keeping systems banked vacation records, sick and perfect attendance accruals.
- Encourage electronic payments through direct deposit drives.
- Process claims for sick pay; calculate sick pay due and maintain sick pay eligibility records. Prepare bi-weekly sick accrual files for import.
- Provide reports to the State of Ohio for unemployment. Maintain data through backups.
- Import employee and employer HSA contribution files to vendor's portal. Track and reconcile for W-2 reporting.
- Perform general administration and miscellaneous tasks including but not limited to answering phones, copying, and filing.
- Serve as a backup to other payroll specialists and payroll manager.
- Assist in the development of strategies to meet or exceed organizational and department performance goals and objectives.
- Model exemplary internal and external customer service.
- Provide a positive work environment that does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran.
- Ability to work in compliance with Metro's safety and security policies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Communication - Excellent verbal, writing and non-verbal skills. Clear, concise, and persuasive. Excellent grammar and punctuation.
- Customer Focus - Excellent problem-solving skills and a desire to exceed customer expectations.
- Employee Development - Accurately identifies and measures own skills and know when to ask for help in completion of tasks and projects.
- Leadership - Energetic, takes initiative on projects, committed to continuous improvement.
- Professional Integrity - Accountable, honest, fiscally responsible, with the ability to maximize resources.
- Associate's Degree (two year college or technical school)
- FPC (Fundamental Payroll Certification) recommended but not mandatory
- Ongoing development of job knowledge is expected to be obtained through workshops and seminars.
- Two to three years related experience.
- Working knowledge of payroll and timekeeping applications, spreadsheets, email applications, and word processing.
- Working knowledge of Union Contract clauses relating to Payroll.